The Chartered Accountancy Course is a distance learning professional course offered by The Institute of Chartered Accountants of India, although very popular among the commerce students. It is a professional course which is not only a reputed one rather is very lucrative in terms of salary.
Infact Chartered Accountancy is one of the most sought after and the toughest examination in the country as far as the professional accountancy examinations are concerned.
Students who are interested to pursue this course has to undergo different stages of examinations along with some practical training sessions. The Institute of Chartered Accountants of India provides a three level CA program comprising the following 3 stages.
- The different stages of examination includes the following-
- International Benefits and Operations
- First lets understand what is the eligibility criteria for doing Chartered Accountancy in Abroad
- Universities/ Colleges for pursuing CA in abroad
- Some Important tips before getting started with the CA in Abroad-
The different stages of examination includes the following-
- Foundation Programme
- CA Intermediate Programme
- CA Final Programme
As all of us understand that now a days, there’s a great emphasis on adherence to norms of efficient Corporate Governance and Risk Assessment, hence the demand of professional of Chartered Accountants have also risen especially after enactment of Company Act 2013.
International Benefits and Operations
The demand for CAs in the foreign market is getting higher and higher day by day and infact at a peak right now. If anyone has anytime dreamt of settling abroad then this is the right choice for him. The demand for CAs in the foreign market is as much as the demand is in India. Pursuing CA would be a great option for you if you are thinking of starting your international career.
In India like we have CPT/ foundation, Inter and Final, the foreign universities may also have same levels but may be with different nomenclatures.
First lets understand what is the eligibility criteria for doing Chartered Accountancy in Abroad
- Minimum qualification for giving entrance test for doing CA in abroad is 10+2
- Recommendation is for atleast having a CA degree for applying, however it is not mandatory but still students may get some edge
Centralised agency deciding on CA norms worldwide is ACCA, although different countries may have different requirements and norms for selecting the candidates for doing CA course in abroad. As per ACCA, following are the requirements for doing abroad
|Mandatory Required Education||The candidate should be a graduate in a two-year chartered accountant program overseas after receiving a bachelor’s degree|
|Other Requirements listed by ACCA||Licensure depending on the country|
|Details||1) Examination- Written/ Online will be there |
2) Some practical experience is also required
3) Online ethics examination will also be conducted
4) There will be 14 papers and the candidate has to pass all the papers
5) Experience of minimum 3 years is also mandatory
6) Some colleges/ universities may also ask for minimum degree of 2 years of CA from India
7) License and procedure depending upon the country is also applicable in some of the cases
|Projected Job Growth (2014-2024)||11% (for accountants and auditors)|
Universities/ Colleges for pursuing CA in abroad
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
220 Leigh Farm Road, Chapel Hill, NC, United States
- Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales
Chartered Accountants’ Hall, 11 Copthall Avenue, London EC2R 7EF, United Kingdom
+44 20 7920 8100
- Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants
680 Rue Sherbrooke Ouest, Montréal, QC H3A 2M7, Canada
- Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland
CA House, 21 Haymarket Yards, Edinburgh, Midlothian EH12 5BH, United Kingdom
+44 131 347 0100
- Institute of Chartered Accountants of Ireland
- Institute of Chartered Accountants of Australia
- Edith Cowan University- Australia
- Bangor University- UK
- Lincoln University- New Zealand
Before reading further check out these posts:
Some of the countries even have MOUs with ICA in India which can also benefit students for pursuing CA in abroad.
- Australia – ICAI’s MoU with Australia allows a student to become an Associate member after submitting the required documents. Although one cannot opt for proceeding with practice in public but at any point of time one can opt for working in Industry. This means this MOU does not allows you to proceed for any activity w.r.t. certifying/ signing in individual capacity.
- Canada – Although the earlier MoU entered with the Canada professional bodies ended in 2016 and ICAI has initiated talks to continue the same. The professional bodies in Canada have been reconstituted, as of now it’s hard to say anything clearly about professional opportunity there other than employment.
- England – Many students have been benefitted from the MoU with England’s ICAEW which is infcat in existence for a long time. ICAEW associate membership is same as Australia you cannot sign or certify in Independent capacity.
But the ACCA a professional body in UK without the MoU allows you few exemptions in the exam papers, so you can avail their membership after clearing the non-exempted papers. Their membership allows you to act in Individual capacity.
- UAE – Last but not the least, ICAI has its own Middle East chapters unlike any other Professional body to give an upper hand to its members to establish practice in the Country.
There is an abundant number of opportunities for CAs in employment in this country than practice and are also paid handsomely.
Some Important tips before getting started with the CA in Abroad-
A student opting for CA to get started with in Abroad must also understand and take into account the following factors-
- Cost of Living index in the respective country including taxes, insurance etc
- Job opportunities
- Freedom to act as an auditor or signing authority or as an industrial person/ employee
- Culture, Lifestyle and Safety conditions in the respective countries
- Foreign bureaucracy models