The CA Foundation course is an entry level examination for entering into the most prestigious Accountancy Examination of India i.e. Chartered Accountancy. This examination is conducted by the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India.
CA Foundation is the qualifying entrance test for registration to the Chartered Accountancy Course. This test is conducted 2 times in a year to make students eligible to qualify their entry in the course. It’s a national level examination.
The language of the examination is English and the purpose of conducting this exam is to train and certify the candidates who aspire to become Chartered Accountants.
CA Foundation examination replaced the earlier CPT examination going on which was infact an objective type MCQ based OMR test for qualifying entrance to CA Course.
One can also understand that this is the first stage to become a Chartered Accountant. After this a student needs to qualify two other stages of examination i.e. Intermediate and Final Stage, apart from going through the practical training.
CA Foundation Eligibility Criteria (excluding exemptions)
A candidate should check the eligibility criteria before applying for CA Foundation. For being eligible, the candidate needs to meet the minimum criteria of qualification laid down by the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India.
(i) Enroll for the Foundation Course after passing Class 10th Examination conducted by an examining body constituted by law in India or an examination recognized by the Central Government as equivalent thereto.
(ii) Register for the Foundation Course on or before the 1st day of January or the 1st day of July for the examination to be held in the months of May/June or November/December respectively.
(iii) Appear in Foundation Examination after appearing in the Senior Secondary Examination (10+2 examination) conducted by an examining body constituted by law in India or an examination recognised by the Central Government as equivalent thereto and on complying with above
Exemptions for CA Foundation
- Candidates who have completed their graduation or Post graduation will not be eligible for CA Foundation exam.
- Candidates who have cleared the Intermediate levels of ICSI or ICMAI will also not be eligible for CA Foundation course.
CA Foundation Registration 2021
For getting registration for CA Foundation examination, the foremost step is to get registered with Board of Studies. Further the Institute has also mandated the minimum study period of four months before appearing for CA Foundation exam. The last date for CA Foundation registration for December Session is going to end on 16th August 2021.
Validity of CA Foundation Registration
CA Foundation registration is valid for 3 years. It means that a candidate registered once can appear 6 times for the CA Foundation examination.
Registration dates for CA Foundation examination
|Registration for May/ June for any FY||01st January of the previous FY|
|Registration for Nov/ Dec for any FY||16th August of the same FY|
Steps for registration for CA Foundation by the students
A student applying for registration for CA Foundation has to go for online mode because there is no offline procedure for the same. one has to be very careful while uploading the details as every correction afterwards will result into additional cost.
1. Opening of website of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India
In order to get registered , first open the website www.icai.org in any web browser.
2. Second step would be to click on the icon appearing as “Student’s tab” on the page opened and click on the registration menu. This will open the registration form wherein the student will enter into Application form for Registration to Foundation option.
3. After clicking on this button, click on the new user button if you are a new candidate i.e. CA Registration first time link and for existing user, click on the respective link.
4. After clicking the Registration option, following details are required to be filled up by the students-
– Date of birth
-Aadhar Card no
– email id and phone no
5. After verification of the basic details, the student is guided for the next step, wherein Generate OTP button will appear. After clicking on the same a captcha code appears and the student needs to enter in the box provided and click on the submit button.
This OTP will be sent to the registered mobile number. The validation of the OTP has to be done by the student.
6. a confirmation message will appear. Read and click on the button “OK”. After this the profile gets created mentioning User Id and Password. The student is required to update the pending details using these details.
Log in to the account using this user id and password. Then click on the student cycle option and click on the option” Apply for foundation”.
Details are required to be filled by the student and documents are required to be uploaded-
Following documents are required for registration process
– Passport Size Photograph
– Attested copy of Marksheet of 10th Class and 12th Standard Admit Card
– Scanned images of signature
– Attested copy of proof of special category certificate i.e. SC/ ST/ OBC/ Differently abled etc
7. After filling in the details the students is asked to make the payment, which is called registration fees and then online brochure fees etc.
The Registration Fees for appearing in CA Foundation is as follows
CA Foundation 2021 fees schedule- Category wise
|Fees Category||For Indian Nationals (Rs)||For Foreign Students (USD)|
|Cost of Foundation Prospectus||Rs 200/-||20|
|Foundation Registration Fee||Rs 9000/-||700|
|Subscription for student’s Journal (For One Year ) (Optional)||Rs 200/-||20|
|Subscription for member’s Journal (For One Year ) (Optional)||Rs 400/-||40|
After entering the fees amount, click on the next button
8. After this, another screen will appear which will include the Payment options
Several payment methods can be utilized to pay the registration fees for CA Foundation Examination. The registration fees 2021 can be paid using online means.
Candidates need to pay the fees using any payment methods such as Master/ Visa/ Maestro Credit/ Debit/ Rupay/ Net Banking mode etc.
9. After making the payment, a PDF file is generated, which will include details and registration number
10. The student will take the print out of this PDF File. After taking the print out, you need to paste the passport size photograph and sign it. However if the student has already included the passport size photograph in the online mode, then he need not to submit again.
11. This pdf file including photograph and signature will be sent to the regional centre office of the Institute within 07 days of the registration
12. The student will get the registration certificate within 01 month after the procedure.
CA Foundation Application Fees
CA Foundation Examination which is conducted in May or November every year and application window gets open for a time period. The application fee details are provided as follows-
|Examination Centre||Application fees|
|For Indian Centres||Rs. 1500/-|
|For Kathmandu (Nepal) Centre||Rs. 2200/-|
|For Overseas Centers (Abu Dhabi, Doha, Dubai, Muscat)||US$ 325|
CA Foundation Admit Card
CA foundation admit cared will be released on the official website of the Institute before the examination. Admit cards are only allotted after the successful completion of the registration process / payment of fees. For appearing in examination, the candidates are required to download the admit cards and take print out of the same. The hard copy of the admit card is compulsorily required to be carried by them.