CA Foundation is the qualifying entrance test for registration to the Chartered Accountancy Course. This test is conducted 2 times in a year to make students eligible to qualify their entry in the course. It’s a national level examination. This examination is conducted by the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India. The language of the examination is English and the purpose of conducting this exam is to train and certify the candidates who aspire to become Chartered Accountants.
- Eligibility Criteria (excluding exemptions)
- Exemptions for CA Foundation
- Join Free CA Foundation Free Batch
- CA Foundation Course Subjects
- Understanding Syllabus of CA Foundation
- CA foundation cut off/Passing Criteria
- Following methodology is suggested for achieving the passing criteria and cracking the exam
- CA Foundation Examination Pattern
- CA Foundation Examination December 2021
- CA Foundation Registration 2021
- Validity of CA Foundation Registration
- Registration dates for CA Foundation examination
- Steps for registration for CSEET by the students
The CA Foundation course is undoubtedly, an entry level examination for entering into the most prestigious Accountancy Examination of India i.e. Chartered Accountancy. CA Foundation examination replaced the earlier CPT examination going on which was infact an objective type MCQ based OMR test for qualifying entrance to CA Course. One can also understand that this is the first stage to become a Chartered Accountant. After this a student needs to qualify two other stages of examination i.e. Intermediate and Final Stage, apart from going through the practical training.
Eligibility Criteria (excluding exemptions)
A candidate should check the eligibility criteria before applying for CA Foundation. For being eligible, the candidate needs to meet the minimum criteria of qualification laid down by the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India.
(i) Enrol for the Foundation Course after passing Class 10th Examination conducted by an examining body constituted by law in India or an examination recognized by the Central Government as equivalent thereto.
(ii) Register for the Foundation Course on or before the 1st day of January or the 1st day of July for the examination to be held in the months of May/June or November/December respectively.
(iii) Appear in Foundation Examination after appearing in the Senior Secondary Examination (10+2 examination) conducted by an examining body constituted by law in India or an examination recognised by the Central Government as equivalent thereto and on complying with above
Exemptions for CA Foundation
- Candidates who have completed their graduation or Post graduation will not be eligible for CA Foundation exam.
- Candidates who have cleared the Intermediate levels of ICSI or ICMAI will also not be eligible for CA Foundation course.
Join Free CA Foundation Free Batch
CA Foundation Course Subjects
1. Principle and basics of accounting.
2. Business law and business corresponding and recording
3. Business mathematics and logical reasoning and statistics
4. Business economics and business and commercial knowledge
|PAPER – 1 : PRINCIPLES AND PRACTICE OF ACCOUNTING||To develop an understanding of the basic concepts and principles of Accounting and acquire the ability to apply the same in preparing financial statements and simple problem solving.|
|PAPER – 2 : BUSINESS LAWS AND BUSINESS CORRESPONDENCEAND REPORTING||To develop an understanding of significant provisions of select business laws and acquire the ability to address basic application-oriented issues.To acquire and develop good communication skills requisite for business correspondence and reporting.|
SECTION A : BUSINESS LAWS (60 MARKS)SECTION B : BUSINESS CORRESPONDENCE AND REPORTING (MARKS 40)
|PAPER –3: BUSINESS MATHEMATICS, LOGICAL REASONINGAND STATISTICS||(a) To develop an understanding of the basic mathematical and statistical tools and their application in Business, Finance and Economics.(b) To develop logical reasoning skills and apply the same in simple problem solving.|
Part – A. Business Mathematics (40 Marks)Part – B: Logical Reasoning (20 Marks)Part – C: Statistics (40 Marks)
|PAPER – 4 : BUSINESS ECONOMICS AND BUSINESS ANDCOMMERCIAL KNOWLEDGE||To develop an understanding of the concepts and theories in Business Economics and apply such concepts and theories in simple problem solving.To develop an understanding of common business and commercial concepts and to keep abreast with developments in the business and commercial world.PART I : BUSINESS ECONOMICS (60 Marks)PART – II : BUSINESS AND COMMERCIAL KNOWLEDGE (40 MARKS)|
Understanding Syllabus of CA Foundation
ICAI has prescribed detailed syllabus w.r.t. each paper and content which will be part of the test. Following are the topics and subjects which are required to be part of the test. Students are expected to understand and have a proper grip on the topics. A proper SWOT analysis should be done by the students w.r.t. topics. The focus should be more on the topics/ subjects which seems tough or difficult for them.
|PRINCIPLES AND PRACTICE OF ACCOUNTING||Theoretical FrameworkAccounting ProcessBank Reconciliation StatementInventoriesConcept and Accounting of DepreciationAccounting for Special TransactionsIntroduction to Company AccountsFinal Accounts of Sole ProprietorsPartnership AccountsFinancial Statements of Not-for-Profit Organizations|
|BUSINESS LAWS AND BUSINESS CORRESPONDENCEAND REPORTING||The Indian Contract Act, 1872: An overview of Sections 1 to 75 covering the general nature of contract, consideration, other essential elements of a valid contract, performance of contract, breach of contract, Contingent and Quasi Contract.The Sale of Goods Act, 1930: Formation of the contract of sale, Conditions and Warranties, Transfer of ownership and delivery of goods, Unpaid seller and his rights. The Indian Partnership Act, 1932: General Nature of Partnership, Rights and duties of partners, Reconstitution of firms, Registration and dissolution of a firm.The Limited Liability Partnership Act, 2008: Introduction- covering nature and scope, Essential features, characteristics of LLP, Incorporation and differences with other forms of organizations.The Companies Act, 2013 : Essential features of company, corporate veil theory, Classes of companies, types of share capital, Incorporation of company, Memorandum of Association, Articles of Association, Doctrine of Indoor ManagementCommunicationSentence Types (Direct-Indirect, Active -Passive Speech)Vocabulary Root Words, Synonyms, Antonyms, Prefixes, Suffixes), Phrasal verbs, Collocations and Idioms.Comprehension Passages and Note MakingIntroduction to Basic WritingPrécis WritingArticle WritingReport WritingWriting Formal LettersWriting Formal MailsResume WritingMeetings|
|BUSINESS MATHEMATICS, LOGICAL REASONINGAND STATISTICS||Ratio and Proportion, Indices and LogarithmsEquations and MatricesLinear Inequalities with Objective Functions and Optimization w.r.t. objective function.Time value of MoneyPermutations and CombinationsSequence and SeriesSets, Relations and FunctionsBasic applications of Differential and Integral calculusLogical ReasoningStatistical description of DataMeasures of Central tendency and DispersionProbabilityTheoretical DistributionsCorrelation and RegressionIndex Numbers and Time Series|
|BUSINESS ECONOMICS AND BUSINESS ANDCOMMERCIAL KNOWLEDGE||Introduction to Business EconomicsTheory of Demand and SupplyTheory of Production and CostPrice Determination in Different MarketsBusiness CyclesBusiness and Commercial Knowledge – An IntroductionBusiness EnvironmentBusiness OrganizationsGovernment Policies for Business GrowthOrganizations Facilitating BusinessCommon Business Terminologies|
CA foundation cut off/Passing Criteria
ICAI has established a passing criteria which is minimum of 40% marks in each part i.e.,
Paper- 1, Paper -2, Paper -3 and Paper -4 separately as the case may be, and 50% marks in aggregate of all parts put together for passing the Test . 40 % marks in each subject or 50 % marks in aggregate
Following methodology is suggested for achieving the passing criteria and cracking the exam
- Understanding the Syllabus
- Making a Study Plan
- Journals and Bulleteins released by ICAI
- Attending Classes
- Giving Tests periodically
- Self Practice
CA Foundation Examination Pattern
- There is a set of 4 papers
- Paper 1 & 2 are subjective whereas Paper3 & 4 are objective type
- Each paper will carry 100 marks
- Maximum time duration will be 3 hours
- There will be no negative marking in Paper 1 & 2
- Paper 3 & 4 will have negative marking i.e. ¼th mark will be deducted for each wrong answer
- Exams will be conducted through offline mode
- Papers will be available in Hindi and English but Section B of Paper 2 will be conducted in English Medium only
CA Foundation Examination December 2021
13th, 15th , 17th & 19th December 2021 are the dates finalised for the same.
CA Foundation Registration 2021
For getting registration for CA Foundation examination, the foremost step is to get registered with Board of Studies. Further the Institute has also mandated the minimum study period of four months before appearing for CA Foundation exam. The last date for CA Foundation registration for December Session is going to end on 16th August 2021.
Validity of CA Foundation Registration
CA Foundation registration is valid for 3 years. It means that a candidate registered once can appear 6 times for the CA Foundation examination.
Registration dates for CA Foundation examination
|Registration for May/ June for any FY||01st January of the previous FY|
|Registration for Nov/ Dec for any FY||16th August of the same FY|
Steps for registration for CSEET by the students
A student applying for registration for CA Foundation has to go for online mode because there is no offline procedure for the same. one has to be very careful while uploading the details as every correction afterwards will result into additional cost.
1. Opening of website of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India
In order to get registered , first open the website www.icai.org in any web browser.
2. Second step would be to click on the icon appearing as “Student’s tab” on the page opened and click on the registration menu. This will open the registration form wherein the student will enter into Application form for Registration to Foundation option.
3. After clicking on this button, click on the new user button if you are a new candidate i.e. CA Registration first time link and for existing user, click on the respective link.
4. After clicking the Registration option, following details are required to be filled up by the students-
– Date of birth
-Aadhar Card no
– email id and phone no
5. After verification of the basic details, the student is guided for the next step, wherein Generate OTP button will appear. After clicking on the same a captcha code appears and the student needs to enter in the box provided and click on the submit button.
This OTP will be sent to the registered mobile number. The validation of the OTP has to be done by the student.
6. a confirmation message will appear. Read and click on the button “OK”. After this the profile gets created mentioning User Id and Password. The student is required to update the pending details using these details.
Log in to the account using this user id and password. Then click on the student cycle option and click on the option” Apply for foundation”.
Details are required to be filled by the student and documents are required to be uploaded-
Following documents are required for registration process
– Passport Size Photograph
– Attested copy of Marksheet of 10th Class and 12th Standard Admit Card
– Scanned images of signature
– Attested copy of proof of special category certificate i.e. SC/ ST/ OBC/ Differently abled etc
7. After filling in the details the students is asked to make the payment, which is called registration fees and then online brochure fees etc.
The Registration Fees for appearing in CA Foundation is as follows
CA Foundation 2021 fees schedule- Category wise
|Fees Category||For Indian Nationals (Rs)||For Foreign Students (USD)|
|Cost of Foundation Prospectus||Rs 200/-||20|
|Foundation Registration Fee||Rs 9000/-||700|
|Subscription for student’s Journal (For One Year ) (Optional)||Rs 200/-||20|
|Subscription for member’s Journal (For One Year ) (Optional)||Rs 400/-||40|
After entering the fees amount, click on the next button
8. After this, another screen will appear which will include the Payment options
Several payment methods can be utilized to pay the registration fees for CA Foundation Examination. The registration fees 2021 can be paid using online means. Candidates need to pay the fees using any payment methods such as Master/ Visa/ Maestro Credit/ Debit/ Rupay/ Net Banking mode etc.
9. After making the payment, a PDF file is generated, which will include details and registration number
10. The student will take the print out of this PDF File. After taking the print out, you need to paste the passport size photograph and sign it. However if the student has already included the passport size photograph in the online mode, then he need not to submit again.
11. This pdf file including photograph and signature will be sent to the regional centre office of the Institute within 07 days of the registration
12. The student will get the registration certificate within 01 month after the procedure.
CA Foundation Application Fees
CA Foundation Examination which is conducted in May or November every year and application window gets open for a time period. The application fee details are provided as follows-
|Examination Centre||Application fees|
|For Indian Centres||Rs. 1500/-|
|For Kathmandu (Nepal) Centre||Rs. 2200/-|
|For Overseas Centres (Abu Dhabi, Doha, Dubai, Muscat)||US$ 325|
CA Foundation Admit Card
CA foundation admit cared will be released on the official website of the Institute before the examination. Admit cards are only allotted after the successful completion of the registration process/ payment of fees. For appearing in examination, the candidates are required to download the admit cards and take print out of the same. The hard copy of the admit card is compulsorily required to be carried by them.